With this cold Canadian Winter that is upon us, all I’m craving is soup! When I think about soup, my mind goes straight to tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. I thought I’d amp up the old classic by adding roasted red pepper and grilled cheese “croutons”. While taking only 25 minutes to make, this soup is effortless, rich and packs some heat. You’ll definitely want to add this recipe in your books!
I think this is BY FAR, the best soup I have ever made! Don’t quote me on that though…I might have said that before, but I hadn’t made this one yet. I simply couldn’t have predicted the awesomeness that was coming my way from the future. Unless of course, I owned a DeLorean and I’m fooling all of you…
What makes this recipe so effortless are these two stars of the show, Pilaros roasted red pepper and Pastene italian tomatoes. You can totally go the fresher route by roasting peppers, which takes about 20 minutes and using fresh tomatoes, but if you’re a busy mom and you don’t have 20-25 extra minutes to spare, then these products will save you some time.
Adding the grilled cheese croutons in the soup adds such an incredible texture and flavor, that I definitely wouldn’t skip this step. I made the croutons with St-Méthode’s Stone Ground 12 Grain Bread w/ Flax and swiss cheese, but you can make any kind of combination that you want. If your kiddos aren’t as easily impressed like Jude was, then you can just make their grilled cheese sandwiches and put it to the side.
By adding ingredients like fresh rosemary, sweet onion, garlic, chipotle chili pepper, sriracha, and love (yes, love is an ingredient), you have yourself such a flavorful bowl of goodness. The sriracha is totally optional if you can stand the heat. I’ll be flat-out honest with you, I’m an absolute wuss when it comes to foods packed with heat and spice. I love it so much that I suck it up, even if that means Tums will be my best friend afterward. What can I say, I like to live life on the wild side.
Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup w/ Grilled Cheese Croutons
An effortless and rich roasted red pepper and tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons that add incredible flavor and texture.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 30
- For the soup
- 1 28-oz can San Marzano whole tomatoes, with juices
- 3 Pilaros roasted red peppers
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli pepper
- 1 tsp sriracha (optional)
- For the grilled cheese croutons
- 4 slices bread
- 2 slices swiss cheese or any cheese of choice
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
For the soup
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion and rosemary and saute for 5 minutes, until mixture is softened and fragrant.
- Add the roasted red peppers, tomatoes and their juices, vegetable stock, salt, sugar, chipotle chilli pepper, pepper and sriracha. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender, or you can puree the soup in small batches in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Serve with grill cheese croutons scattered on top.
For the grill cheese croutons
- Heat a panini grill.
- Butter four slices of bread and place them on the panini grill with the cheese slices in between two slices of bread.
- Grill the sandwiches on the panini grill for about 5 minutes, until nicely browned. Place on a cutting board, allow to rest for 1 minute, and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Serving Size: 4
Make this soup and your kid’s bowls will look like this!
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #MISyummyeats on Instagram.