Steak tacos with strawberry jalapeno salsa— BBQ smoky goodness, sweet and packs some heat. The perfect meal for Tuesday…or any day of the week. 😉
How is it already August!? Is it just me, or does July seem to fly way faster than January? I’m totally not okay with this…okay, wait. Maybe I am? We had such a crazy heat wave in Montreal and to be honest, I don’t do so well with extreme weather changes. Like, I appreciate the blue sky and all, but the sweltering heat, not so much. So, as usual, my body and mind are starting to crave Fall and all the goodness that comes with it.
Ugh, I know. I’m the worst.
So with my attempt not to be a Debbie Downer about not having my precious Fall weather and to try and be positive about all the glorious things Summer has to offer (minus the heat), I immediately go to food and remember that I’ll be crying when all the fresh local produce goes away. Nothing like a local farmer’s market closed up for the season to bring tears to your eyes and wonder why you complained so much about the summer heat when instead you should have been celebrating those glorious farmers all Summer long…
Last week I posted my Steak Salad with Chipotle Lime Dressing and shared all about my BBQ AAA Angus Steak Recipes with Walmart Canada. Well, today I’m sharing my second recipe with them! Now, who doesn’t love a good taco? Just the other night I was chatting it up with my friends saying how amazing it would be to win a year of taco dinners! Yes, we’re really that deep in with our love for tacos and we take it very seriously.
Steak tacos are a good way to make a quick dinner packed with fresh ingredients without heating up your kitchen. Simply throw a steak on a very hot BBQ and grill for about 4-5 minutes each side. Slice it thinly, wrap it in a warm toasted corn tortilla, and then top it off with a scoop (or three) of strawberry jalapeno salsa and a crumble of feta or cotija cheese. Oh man, my mouth is watering just thinking about these tacos!
Just a few notes that I want to throw out here! The salsa. You can totally spend time chopping up all the ingredients for it OR you can totally do the lazy girls way and throw all those ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few times until there aren’t any large pieces. You want chunks and not juice though! It’s better to eat the salsa fresh, but you can store it in the fridge for a couple of days.
For the steak, I like to marinate it overnight. It cuts your prep time and allows for the steak tacos to be even more flavorful! If you have any left over, cut the meat up into cubes and store it in a container. The next day, you can whip up a quick salad and throw that bad boy in there!
- 6 oz steak, thinly sliced (I used beef stir fry strips)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- zest and juice of one lime
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 large red onion, diced
- 1 Jalapeño seeded and diced
- juice of a large lime
- Salt to taste
- Place the steak in a container or large ziploc bag. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, honey, lime juice, chipotle chili powder, paprika, and salt. Whisk together until well combined. Pour marinade over the steak and refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours. The longer it marinates, the more flavorful it will be.
- In a large bowl, combined strawberries, red onion, jalapeno, lime juice, and salt.
- To grill the steak, heat BBQ to 400 degrees. Add the steak, and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or to desired doneness. Remove the meat from the grill and cover with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes, and then cut into thin strips with a sharp knife.
- In a warm corn tortilla, add steak and top with salsa and feta cheese, and serve!
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #MISyummyeats on Instagram.