Who doesn’t love a good ol’ hot chocolate with marshmallows? It’s sweet, chocolatey, and the melting marshmallows on top is absolute perfection! How much more amazing does it sound if we switched it up and turned it into a cookie?!? Now we’re talking! You need these hot cocoa marshmallow cookies in your life!
Up until now, the recipes on my blog have all been healthy but just like everybody else, I do like to indulge once in a while. With the holiday season in full effect, Christmas goodies are everywhere! If you are planning on giving baked goods to friends and family or taking part in a cookie exchange, this is the perfect recipe! It’s festive without looking like christmas exploded on them.
If there’s one thing that you should know about me in the kitchen, is that baking is NOT a word in my vocabulary. It may taste good, but isn’t visually appealing. I am a complete disaster and it just isn’t my thing. Well this time around, I surprised myself! These cookies are by far the easiest and most delicious recipe I have ever made (thanks to Deborah from Taste and Tell)! So what came over me to decide to bake cookies, yet alone just simply bake? Just because it’s not my thing, doesn’t mean that I don’t like to push myself. I will be an awesome baker one day! Next Martha Stewart in the making? I’d say yes, but you guys will be the judge once you make these cookies.
You have three options of topping the marshmallows. First, you can completely omit from topping it. You’ll still have the marshmallows in the mixture, and it will give you a clean chocolate cookie look. Second option is to press in the marshmallows on top before putting them in the oven. They will be a little toasted and golden, which is simply beautiful. Third and last option (which is my favorite), press in the marshmallows right after taking them out of the oven, It will melt but remain bright white.
Hot Cocoa Marshmallow Cookies
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup mini marshmallows, divided
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar with a mixer and beat it until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in one egg at a time and beat in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Add in 3/4 cup marshmallows and chocolate chips and mix until combined.
- Place one tablespoon-sized scoop of the dough and roll into a ball. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet at about 2 inches apart. With the remaining 1/4 cup marshmallows, press a few on the top of each ball of dough.
- Bake the cookies one sheet at a time and bake for about 7 minutes or until the edges are set and the center still looks a little wet. Remove from oven and let leave the cookies on the sheet for a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooling rack or a sheet of wax paper.
On a different note, the blog posts are a little scattered and not on my usual days due to Christmas coming up next week. There will be one blog post on Monday the 21st, and another on Wednesday the 23rd, which will both be recipes. Then I will be back on Sunday the 27th. Till’ Monday!